We want your photos! Not only aerial shots—we are looking for ground-to-air shots, swoop shots, general DZ fun shots, whatever you would like to see printed in the magazine (within reason of course…;o) But, in order for us to be able to use your photos in print there are a few practical “rules & regulations” that must be followed when sending them to us. For the most part, camera flyers know their way around a photo file but we’d still like you guys and gals to give our guidelines a quick look-see.
How will my photos be used?
If we choose to print your photo(s), it(they) will be included in both the print and digital versions of Blue Skies Magazine. The digital version is a BSM-watermarked, pay-to-view pdf. We may also include photos in an online reprint (as a free-to-view web post). We will include your photo credit in every instance. If we fail to adequately credit photographers (we try our best, but mistakes happen), we will print a correction in the next available print issue of Blue Skies Magazine, and correct any digital versions.
The Photo Itself
Digital photos must be high resolution. This means 300 dpi at the size to be used. How a photo looks on your monitor screen has little bearing on its usability for print. Use this formula if you’re not sure: pixels divided by resolution = printable size. Thus, an image of 1600 by 1200 pixels – each divided by 300 dpi – gives a print size of about 5 by 4 inches. That would be just marginally large enough for most article illustrations, but unusable as a spread, centerfold or cover. We prefer photos as large as your camera can take them, so even with 5- or 8-megapixel cameras, shoot at the highest possible resolution.
Sending Your Photo
- Send digital photos as JPEG or TIFF files. Do not place them in a Word document or make a PDF.
- 10MB files or smaller: e-mail each file individually to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Larger than 10MB:
- Send it via www.yousendit.com (batches of photos can be zipped and attached in .zip, .sitx or .rar format) or . . .
- If you have access to an FTP client like Transmit or Fetch, you can e-mail Pierre at email@example.com for FTP upload details.
Do not send printed digital photos. They do not have the quality necessary for reproduction in the magazine.
Slides and Prints
For printing purposes those things have gone the way of the dodo and my six pack, but in certain cases we might appreciate some nostalgic shots from the days when film ruled. If that is the case, please send them with a self-addressed padded envelope to Pierre at the address below.For printing purposes those things have gone the way of the dodo and my six pack, but in certain cases we might appreciate some nostalgic shots from the days when film ruled. If that is the case, please send them with a self-addressed padded envelope to Pierre at Blue Skies Magazine, 1665 Lexington Ave. #102, DeLand, FL 32724 USA.
Required Photo Information
Before we can publish your photo(s), we’ll need the following information from you:
- Photographer’s name and contact details. If you’re a pro (or aspiring pro) and have a web address and/or email address that you’d like to include in the photo credit, please supply those as well.
- Photographer’s permission to publish the photo(s).
- Confirmation that the photographer has obtained explicit permission from all identifiable people in the photo(s) to be identified and for their image(s) to be reproduced.
- For groups under eight, the name(s) of the people in the photo if they’d like to be identified.
- Any additional information about the photo that you’d like to add.
P.S. If you’re a Photoshop pro, you can also include all that information in the file’s metadata.
A Quick Tutorial About Digital Photo Resolution
Will I get paid?
At this time, we are not able to pay our contributors monetarily. We’ll do everything we can to make sure you get something out of the deal – links and shout-outs to your company, publicity, whatever we can – but for now we can barely pay ourselves. If this is not acceptable to you, we completely understand and will announce here when we are able to compensate contributors. We hope you submit at that point!
Our Official Be Cool Policy
We know there are other magazines out there who also want your great pictures and words. We understand that air sports cost a lot of money, photographing those air sports costs even more and it is nice to get paid from as many places as possible. However, we are trying to put out a cool magazine. It’s not cool to see a picture that you’ve already seen in another magazine or on another website, or to read something twice in different places.We’re asking you to be cool; don’t intentionally send us things that you have already submitted or are going to submit to someone else. Please help us produce a cool, unique magazine and a cool, unique website. Karma will reward you in the end, we promise.
Please don’t take it personally if we cannot use your photos for any reason. We still love you. Keep submitting.